Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankful for Scouting


happythanksgivingar.jpg
Welcome to Autism and Scouting. I hope all are having a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving. This has been an amazing year both on a personal and professional level.

I am thankful for so many things in my life. For starters I am thankful for.

God

Family

Nation

Health

Included on this are many things that are scout related. Here is that list.

I am thankful for all of the Scouting Pioneers (Robert Baden-Powell -Boy Scouts, Ernest Seton - Woodcraft Indians, Juliette Gordan Low - Girl Scouts, Agnes Baden-Powell - Girl Scout Guides, William Boyce - bringing Scouting to the US, Daniel Beard - Sons of Daniel Boone later to join the BSA, Burton Pierce - founder of the Royal Rangers and all of the other leaders around the world) who brought the scouting movement to the youth around the world).

I am thankful for James E. West who was the first Chief Scout Executive. He himself had a disability was a strong advocate for those with Disabilities.

I am thankful to be associated with a Unit (Troop 462), District (Columbia Gorge) and Council (Cascade Pacific) who have had leadership that have advocated for those with Special Needs.

I am thankful for Autism Empowerment, the 501(c)(3) Non-profit that Karen and I started this past June that made Autism and Scouting as one of its programs. Here is a link to the Autism Empowerment Scouting program.

I am thankful for all of the wonderful Scouting and Autism programs that will be added in 2012.

I am thankful that I was asked to provide training for the Cascade Pacific Council in the area of Autism and Scouting. I am also thankful that I have been asked back for next year as well.

I am thankful for all of the parents and guardians who have made the choice to have their children in a scouting program.

I am thankful for all of the wonderful leaders who put in their “1 hour” per week  That 1 hour (52 for the year) typically is more like 208 - 500 hours per year.

I am extra thankful for the leaders that find the time to learn more about Autism, Aspergers, ADHD and other related disabilities that our scouts have.

I am thankful for all of the parents, leaders and scouts around the world that have liked the Autism and Scouting Facebook Page and those who follow us on Twitter @autismscouting.
Currently there are 196 at Facebook and 172 at Twitter.

I am thankful for the people who share, read and contribute to this wonderful online community.

I am thankful that my son formed his first real friendship (which started in Cub Scouts) and that friendship has lasted for five years despite his friend leaving scouting three years ago.

I am thankful for all of the skills that he has learned while in scouts. Passing the swim test on the Hood Canal in the Puget Sound, all of the first aid, dealing with other peer scouts, working on sensory issues, learning leadership as Webmaster and Patrol Leader and working side by side doing service projects.

I am thankful for of all of the wonderful memories that my son and I have as a result of Scouting. Overnight on the USS Nimitz, overnight on the USS Blueback (Submarine), Pinewood Derby car-making, Winter Lodge on Mt. Hood, marching in the Veteran’s Day parade in the pouring rain (two years in a row), Walk and Knock in the snow, the Interfaith Service that Justin put together for his Communications Merit Badge, seeing Justin earn his Religious Knot, our first overnight campout in a tent, the owls at Camp Currie (WHO let the owls out, WHOO WHOO WHOO?) and even my dripping tent all night long and wet socks... and Camporee (the latter not so much)

I am thankful for all of the adult leaders I have met around the world many of which I call friends.

I am thankful that scouting can be a place where any children of different abilities can can come and learn different skills in a safe and accepting environment.

I am thankful for this Blog, the Autism & Scouting Facebook Page & Group Page and thankful for Autism Empowerment being able to serve others.

For more information on Autism and Scouting as well as Autism Empowerment, we invite you to check out these links.

Autism Empowerment - http://www.autismempowerment.org
Autism Empowerment Facebook Page - http://www.facebook.com/autismempowerment
Autism and Scouting Facebook Page - http://www.facebook.com/autismandscouting
Twitter@autismscouting and @autismempowermt


Again, Happy Thanksgiving!


2 comments:

  1. My number one thank you for Scouting... those immortal words...

    DO YOUR BEST

    These words include special needs kids all around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Gavin.

    Do Your Best really sums it all up.

    Warmest Wishes,

    John

    ReplyDelete